Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tell me about it, stud.

In late October, I decided that it would be awesome to stud my leather jacket.  In asking my friend what he thought about the idea, he told me that I would look like Lady Gaga, referring to the jacket she wears in prison in the Telephone video:

I love Lady Gaga more than anything, yet I didn’t want people to think that by studding a jacket I was trying to imitate her. Besides, her jacket is a bit on the extreme side for something that I would wear to school.  If I were to, it would be more along the lines of this jacket (below)>> on a man’s jacket of course:


I especially love the studding on the shoulders and that the amount of studs on this jacket is perfect because its just enough so that it’s a cool accent, but not overwhelming. 

In fact, I really want to stud my black combat boots. First, I think it would look cool, and second, that it would make them look unique, as so many people at our school have boots that look something like these:



If you haven’t noticed anyone wearing these, you should probably stop walking around with your eyes closed.  As much as I hate it when people go out of their way to be different than everyone else, I still enjoy a unique look. As for me, I’d stud the heel or the tongue of my boots, adding detail, not screaming it.

The problem is if I came to school wearing leather and studs/spikes, many people, especially teachers, would expect me to then dye my hair red, get a lip piercing, and an anarchist tattoo. Punk Rock fashion.  In short, some people might expect the next step to be this:


or this:


or this:


Hey, maybe I can use the spikes on their heads for my boots!





So I’m asking for your advice.  Can I wear boots like these without looking too punk?  And am I over thinking this?  Is everyone who thinks they aren’t cool just too conservative?  Comment below or Facebook me your thoughts.

Oh and P.S Uggs nice try.  I still hate you.


-Jacob

1 comment:

  1. You are totally overthinking it. Who cares what anyone "expects" will come next. I'm considered a very conservative dresser, and I'd definitely wear a couple of those boots with selective studding. I like an edge, without going over the edge. IMO, of course....

    ReplyDelete